Replacement handles

A home owner from Mt. Prospect, IL (home of Sahara Doors) says:
We have had our doors many years (Sugar Creek brand, I believe) and we want to replace the handles due a marred finish. In considering the 40-058 sets, does the "polished brass" hold up as well as the "antique brass" finish? Do both have some sort of protective coating, and if so, how long does it last? Also, the old latch base has a width of 1 inch and is flush with the round window/screen removal screw. Is the 40-058 no wider so it will fit properly? I noticed that the inner latch and bolt are now matching metal rather than the previous black- I like this change. Thanks.
User submitted photos of storm door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The 40-058 lock set comes with the 40-145 inside latch, which is 1-1/8" wide and 2-1/2" tall. As for the finish, Antique might hold up better. However you should choose the finish you like the most. I don't think the difference in resilience is significant enough to make that much of a difference.
A home owner from Mt. Prospect, IL says:
Replaced the handles on 2 doors, 1 with antique brass finish, 1 with polished brass. Swisco video made it easy to self-install. Compared to the original French handles, the edges on the back side of the new ones don't feel as smooth and rounded as the originals. Much better "push" design of the inner handles. Overall, they look and work great- thanks!
User submitted photos of storm door hardware.
A handy person from Kensington, MD 20895 says:
looking for SOLID brass replacment hardware for an older Sugarcreek 591 full view storm door. Looks like the hardware for the folks in the picture above (Mt. Prospect, Il). Can you help? Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The recommendation we made to the customer above still stands. If that's your hardware in the photo, take a look at the parts we suggested.
How to Install a Storm Door Handle with Deadbolt [1080p]
How to Install a Storm Door Handle with Deadbolt [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.