Replacement window balance

A home owner from Burlington, NC says:
Trying to locate replacement window balances; the original ones are broken. Windows were installed at home construction in 1998. I can't find any manufacturer name or number anywhere on the windows. The only number I could find was on the aluminum strip that is against the glass panes. That number is

ADW - 1 ALI A 98-2

The windows are 36 x 60, single hung, tilt-in lower pane, and the lower pane weighs appx 19 lbs.

Attaching pictures of the balance system.

Thank you,
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Steve! Thanks for posting. Please check out our Series 860 window balances. These appear to match your own hardware. What do you think?
A home owner from NC says:
Yes, they match! One question... not 100% sure how to measure the correct length. I know the current (old) balances have a rod that is 27 1/4". Can you tell me which length I should order to replace?

Thank you!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. I'm glad to hear Donna's suggestion is a match. Usually for this type of balance, the length is measured from the tip of that black cap at the top to the very tip of the white cap on the bottom. The only thing you don't measure is the crescent shaped shoe.

Based on the size of your rod, I think you might want to go with our S860-28, but you should double check just to make sure.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)