Replacing the 86-024

A home owner says:
How do you replace the Pella sliding screen door guide (86-024)? My husband could have done it easily, but he passed away a couple of years ago. If it is very difficult, I can ask my son-in-law to do it. Please provide instructions. Thanks in advance!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience in this matter. I hope I can help you replace this part!

To uninstall your original hardware, you will have to take out the screen first. Remove the screen mounting screws so that you can detach the screen from the top of the frame. Then, use the a flat-head screwdriver to depress the screen guides so that they can clear the screen track. You can then remove the screen from the frame.

After that, you can grasp and pull the screen guide so that you can remove it from the screen bottom rail. Then, insert the replacement guide where the original was. make sure that the guide spring window faces up, to ensure that the inserted end aligns properly with the screw inside the rail. Finally, push the bottom of the screen guide to "seat" it onto the screw inside the bottom rail. You will know that the screen guide is properly installed when the bottom flat end of the guide is parallel with the screen.
A quick learner from Tecumseh, MI says:
We discovered that the guides on our Pella screen door were broken. Having seen the price for two replacement guides and the amount of work involved. I think I'll opt for a replacement door that doesn't use such cheaply made guides and probably cost less that a buck to manufacture in china.
A new door does sound good in this instance. If you are thinking about replacing the screen door completely, make sure it will ride on your track; consider a professional to install a custom made door as apposed to the multi-fit ones you get at the Home centers.
A quick learner from Tecumseh, MI says:
Actually, I decided to see if I could remove the guides and reinstall them without all that work of removing the screen etc. Sure enough, they are held in place by a small sheet metal screw that screws into the slot in the guide perpendicularly to it. Loosen it and the guide drops out. I'm thinking I'll go down to the local hobby shop and fashion some out of small plastic pipe/tubing using a dremel tool. They should last longer.
That would be great, I hope it works out for you!
A quick learner from Illinois says:
The body of a pen sized highlighter work well to fashion a replacement if you have the spring.It is easy to cut to fit with a dremel tool. You just need to come up wit a way to keep the spring from falling out the bottom. I used a small screw just above the bottom slots. Cost: old highlighter-free, small.screws one.dollar.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.