Request for Information on Purchasing Replacement Hardware Sets for Bifold Closet Doors

A home owner from Fort Worth, Texas says:

I would like to purchase complete sets of hardware for bifold doors in two bedroom closets. The current hardware is probably the original that was installed when the house was built in 1959. It has degraded, and the previous owners remounted the top pivot guide brackets, and placed additional screws in them to the point that they are loose, and constantly slipping out of the upper rail track. 

The bottom pivot brackets are screwed to the concrete foundation slab.  As far as I can tell, the bottom pivot brackets (mounted with two screws, one of which is covered by putty placed there by the flooring installers) look to be the same as the top pivot brackets, but I cannot be certain without removing both and comparing them side by side. 

The top rail is 47 ½ inches long. The top rail is 1 ¼ inches wide. The door is 1 3?8 inches thick. If you need additional photographs, or additional measurements, please let me know and I will send them to you. 

Please advise me as to what I need to purchase in order to make these doors secure and properly aligned again.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5 Bifold Bottom Floor Mounted Pivot Bracket .png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4 Bottom Pivot Guide Bracket - Side View.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3 Bifold Top Pivot Guide Bracket - Side View .jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2 Bifold Top Pivot Bracket Mounted in Rail.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1 Bifold  Rail & Top Pivot Bracket .jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Based on the age of your doors, there's a good chance you don't find these exact parts anymore. However, we do sell two tracks for wood bifold doors that may interest you: our 4" long 23-505 and the 60" long 23-552. Look these two kits over and see what you think.

A home owner from Fort Worth, Texas says:

1. The descriptions for both hardware kits 23-505 and 23-552 state weight limitations, 30 pounds and 50 pounds respectively, for each bi-fold door panel. I do not know what constitutes a bi-fold "door panel". Is a "door panel" one of the two closet doors that are hinged, or is a "door panel" one of the two hinged sections of a bi-fold door?

2. The descriptions for both hardware kits 23-505 and 23-552 state specific lengths, 48 inches and 60 inches respectively, for the steel track. My inner door frame opening is 47 ½ inches wide. Would either of these steel tracks work if I cut them with a hacksaw to fit by inner doorframe? If so, would I need to cut and equal amount from each side or just cut to the 47 ½ inch length from one side?

3. The bottom jam brackets for both hardware kits 23-505 and 23-552 show that they mount to the floor. Currently, the floor brackets on my bi-fold doors mount to the concrete slab located under the hardwood floor (see photograph). A small rectangle shape has been cut into the hardwood floor to accommodate this configuration. Would I need to "patch" these rectangular openings with pieces cut from spare hardwood slats in order for those four locations to be level with the rest of the hardwood floor, so that either the 23-505 or 23-552 bottom jam brackets would fit and function properly?

4. Hardware kit 23-552 steel track has a side dimension of 1 3/32 inches. My current steel track has a side dimension of 9/16 inches. The top portion of the wood door frame in front of the existing steel track goes down 1 inch, so it fully covers the existing steel track from view. If I used the 1 3/32 inches track in hardware kit 23-552, that track would protrude downward and be visible coming down from the top of the 1 inch door frame when the doors are open. Hardware kit 23-505 does not show a side dimension for its steel track. Please let me know what the side dimension is for the steel track in hardware kit 23-505.

5. Regarding both of these these kits, where can I see the instructions that show the steps involved in installing all of the different hardware parts? Also, is there an on-line video that demonstrates the installation process for SWISCO bi-fold door replacement hardware?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named floor pivot receptacle .png
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your patience during this busy season. I will do my best to answer your questions.

1. A closet door panel in this case constitutes one individual door section.
  2. These tracks can work if you cut them down, yes. A fine tooth hacksaw should work perfectly fine.
  3. I'm not sure if I understand your bottom bracket setup, but typically you want to stick with what you're working with now. It sounds like the installers countersunk the original brackets directly to the concrete and you should probably do the same.
  4. that side dimension is a big deal. Yours is a lot smaller. The 23-505 has a side profile of 1/2", so I think that's a much better fit for your original track.
  5. We do not currently have instructions for these track kits, unfortunately. Due to the quarantine that won't be something that we can do for some time. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Please let me know if you had any follow-up questions.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at 856-317-6263 or at help@swisco.com.