Sash balances for Milgard single hung, non-tilt windows

A handy person from Santa Clarita, CA says:
I am trying to replace four sash balance sets for Milgard single hung, non-tilt windows.

Milgard told me they are Caldwell single hung balancers. Since they say 13-2, Milgard said they would order 14-2's... part No. BA0840BT. I need three sets of those.

There is also an 18-2 that Milgard said would be part no. BA0877BT. Can you please help me translate that into what I would need to order from your website?

Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. I'm afraid I wasn't able to match those numbers you gave us to anything. We likely use a different method of identification. It's important to note that the original stamps you mentioned, 13-2 and 18-2, are not identification numbers, but merely codes that indicate how long the metal channel is, in addition to the strength of the spring.

As an aside, I'm not sure why they would send you a 14-2 to replace a 13-2. A 14-2 code indicates a 15" long balance, while a 13-2 indicates a 14" long balance. I highly recommend physically measuring the length of your metal channel to confirm the length you need.

Otherwise, there is only one way to confirm what Series you have, and that's by carefully looking over the nylon caps at either end of the metal channel. You need to take note of their style and size. These details will help you determine what balance would be the best match. There's no direct code or correlating detail that will tell you exactly what you need; unfortunately, balances don't really work that way. You just have to carefully examine your current hardware and use your best judgement.

Once you do that, I recommend that you look at our Channel Balance Home Page and follow the steps in order to find the Series that best matches what you have.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)