Screw mounted spacer inside window track

A landlord from Rindge, NH says:

Dear Swisco,

I need help identifying the part that broke on my double hung Alliance Window. It looks like it might be some kind of a stop. Can you help?

Rob

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named This one is damaged.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named This one is not damaged.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Rob. Thank you for your patience during this busy season.

We can definitely get you the hardware you need. This part isn't a stop, it's actually the top portion of a coil balance assembly. Balances are spring mechanisms that are what keep your window open when you raise it, so they're very important to how everything functions.

Before we go any further, I've shared a few videos at the end of this post. These are instructional videos of how to remove this kind of balance, but I think you should watch them just to get an idea of how these parts work and what kind of work is involved in this project. You don't have to remove anything yet, it's just to help us get on the same page.

After that, I'd like you to take a clear picture of the pivot shoe. This is a square plastic block-looking piece that's installed under the housing you're showing me here. It's the lower part of the balance assembly. Seeing that will help me figure out everything else you may need. If possible, I'd also like you to tell me how thick your coil springs are, if you're able. This may require you to remove them ahead of time but it is an important detail.

Here are the videos I mentioned:

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.