Separating the 40-180 Hinge

A quick learner from NC says:
Is it easy to separate this hinge by pulling the pin?

I'm pretty sure I have this hinge on my Larson screen door, however the jamb part of the hinge is riveted to the 'Z bar' while the screen door side of the hinge is totally broken.

If it were simple to separate the hinge, then, I could just replace the broken half and leave the existing riveted piece in place ?????
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The 40-180 hinges have the hinge pin pinned in two of the hinge knuckles. You might be able to drill out the pinned depressions and slip out the hinge pin, but I'm not sure. It's possible that the 40-180 hinges have the hinge pin secured into the hinge and are not made to come out.
A contractor from DFW says:
The original hinge pins are light aluminum and pressed in. They will require significant hammering to remove and the process will likely bend the z-bar. Drill out the rivets (use a drill bit just larger than the rivit hole so that the sides of the rivet are scraped clean - the solid part will come out the other end). Remove and replace with 40-180. You can use a hand rivet tool with short 1/8 rivets. Be sure to position the head of the rivet on the wood frame side of the z-bar. Once set, punch out the broken nail head. Support the backside (jambside) and hammer the protruding portion of the rivet flat. Don't worry about the final rivet strength as the screws used to mount the hinge to the wood jamb will help to secure the hinge in place.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)