Sliding Glass Door,

A home owner from Fairfax says:
I'm trying to replace the door handle on my sliding patio door. From what I've been able to find I believe that this is a Capital Products, Series 920 sliding door. I also see that they are no longer in business.

The issue that we are having is two part- the door slides terribly, it's very heavy, rough and terrible to pull closed.

The second part of the problem is that the outdoor part of the handle is inset into the door frame itself, and its very thin which again makes it hard to pull and to use. I would like to find a handle to replace it with that is actually a handle on both sides -if possible.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Hopefully we can help. Let's work on both problems one at a time.

Concerning the door sliding terribly, it's probably an issue with the rollers. The Capitol 920 series has been known to use either our 81-007 or 81-086. The 81-007 was more common, but you may want to remove the original to be 100% sure.

As for the handle, your options are limited. They simply don't make an outside pull for this kind of lockset due to interference from the screen door. It shouldn't take that much pressure to open this door, though. I think if you replace the rollers and clean the track it will slide smoothly. It really should only take a gentle touch.
A professional from CA says:
Capitol makes the heaviest doors and uses the smallest wheels I've ever seen.
Not a good combination.
How do you come to the decision to put a single 1-1/8" wheel on a dual glazed thermally broken monster of a door?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)