Sliding door handle with mortise lock

A quick learner from Illinois says:
I have an old, wood sliding glass patio door. The holes to mount the handle are exactly 5.5" apart with the hole for the mortise lock exactly in the center. Do you have a handle which would be compatible?

From the research I've done, it looks like Andersen is the only manufacturer who uses the 5.5" spacing but I cannot find any replacement handles which include the mortise lock. All I have found are handles with a separate attachment for the lock above the handle.

If there is not a perfectly compatible handle, I was considering drilling new holes and filling the old ones with silicone. Is this something that can be done successfully?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Do you happen to still have the original handle set? If so, we'd love to see some photos of it. With that, we can review your information and images to see what we can come up with for you. Thank you. 

A quick learner from Illinois says:
Here's a picture of what is currently installed. It's not the original because it doesn't have any locking mechanism at all. Hopefully this picture helps!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191017_084349.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for the photo. I'm afraid we don't have any handle set that fits your specifications. You probably won't get away without drilling new holes.

If that's something you're okay with, then you have options. The next question is whether or not we can find a handle set with a matching mortise. Yours in particular looks like our 82-227, which uses a 45 degree slotted key way. Does that match what you have now? Look over our photos and let me know what you think.

If so, then you could use a ton of different handles from our site, like our 82-035 or 82-069, or even a legacy set like our 82-086. All of which will require you to drill new installation holes, but they're also all compatible with the 82-227

If the 82-227 isn't going to work in your door then you'll have to opt for a surface mount set like our 82-005. This has its own self contained mortise lock that doesn't rely on anything in the door, allowing it to work on just about anything. 

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)