Sliding door wheels

A quick learner from San Diego says:
Three questions:
1) Have you seen this type of old style sliding door wheel. Has a star height adjustment feature on one side and a flat headed stud on the other.

2) Cant figure how you get the wheel out. Any ideas?

3) Would you have the part?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
User submitted photos of patio door rollers.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Hans. I think we can help out, yes. See our 81-117. This is what we usually use to replace this old roller. As for removing the old one, usually you place a flat-head screwdriver on the "star" shaped bolt to hold it in place while you unscrew it from the other side. However, it appears that you have some kind of rivet on the other side, so that won't work.

Try this: hold the riveted side with a pair of pliers and use the flat head screwdriver to unscrew the "star." Hopefully that will do it.
A quick learner says:
Wow you guys are awesome. Thanks so much. Such a please when you have people that care and want to help.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We're happy to be of assistance. Hopefully that solution works out for you. If not, let us know and we can try our best to sleuth out a fix.
A professional from California says:
The rivet does not screw in or out. It if forced in with pliers or a vice. The easiest way is to drill into the center of both sides and pry the rail apart enough to force the axle and roller out.
Every time I have used this roller, I have had to cut down the new axle to match the width of the rail. It is always too long. This usually causes the rivet to also need to be cut down to match the depth of the hole in the axle.
A professional from California says:
I should have mentioned, you can also drill the small side and force the rivet through. Either way can be a pain.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)