Sliding glass door handle for SGD-R35 96x96

A home owner from Wilmington, DE says:
Door Series 2000/930. The numbers on the hardware are too corroded to read. Hopefully you can help. There are not holes to attach a handle to the door, but a rectangular cut in the aluminum measuring approx. 5/8" X 67/8". The hardware fit into this groove and attached to the outside groove plate, thereby forming the base for the handle. I other words, the handle was not attached to the door, but to the hardware itself as may be evident from the photos. The locking mechanism fit inside the hardware, and you can see the hole for the latch in the photo provided.

Do you have any ideas for a replacement handle for this door?
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Looks like you have an MI Home Products door from Georgia. Most of their doors used the 82-002 patio door lock. Please compare this to what you have installed now to confirm.
A handy person from Wilmington DE says:
Thanks so much! do I need to create an account to see the entire threads of related posts?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Are you referring to the other discussions we have under the 82-002? If so, you don't need an account to view them. They should be open to anyone who visits the page.
A handy person from Wilmimgton De says:
Okay, now I see. (Wasn't counting posts correctly)

Yes, with a handle that it looks like I can pick out based on the link with the 82-002. What's the "keeper" part and how does it get installed?

Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The keeper most often used with the 82-002 is our 89-018, though I'm not sure if that's what you have. You would need to see how it compares to the old one. These just screw to the jamb.
A handy person from Wilmington, DE says:
So the wooden handles, such as 83-002 come with longer screws that are used instead of what comes with the 82-002.

We have two of these R35 doors, one opens to the deck on the second floor and the other on the ground floor opens to the back yard. We use bars in the tracks because the locks are broken; we would probably continue to do so even after installing the new hardware unless there is a better option.

For example, I noticed our neighbor's SGD-r35 has a bar that looks to be mounted mid-jamb on the side of the stationary glass. When security is desired, it is lifted in place to essentially "lock" the door.

I don't see anything on the jamb or the frame to indicate that our door/doors had these bars originally. Are they available for retro-fit and is there an installation video for them?

Thanks,
A handy person from Wilmington DE says:
Sorry, first I should ask if retrofitting the security bar is preferable to simply putting a bar in the tracks as we have been doing. And can you please explain why or why not?

Thanks again!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hey, hopefully I can help.

I personally find that putting a pole in the patio door track works well as a secondary patio door lock. We do carry the 80-006 security bar which works the same way as the pole, but looks a little nicer (I think, anyway). It also comes with directions which you can view on its store page.
A handy person from De says:
Thanks Dave!

Yes, not too attractive BUT fortunately the adjacent window treatments hide the bars. I'll check out your reference!
How to replace a sliding glass door handle set
How to replace a sliding glass door handle set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 80-006 sliding glass door security bar
How to install the 80-006 sliding glass door security bar
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.