Spiral Balance Shoe

A quick learner from Los Angeles says:
Need to replace the balance shoes on ~30 yr old aluminum non-tilt single-hung windows. I don't know the name of the window manufacturer.

The shoe is a two-piece part.....comprised of a plastic/nylon casing with metal insert that provides the anchor for the pin in the end of the spiral in the balance. This shoe is mounted to the window frame via a small machine screw that passes through a hole in the window frame into a threaded hole in the metal insert in the shoe. Please see attached photos.

These shoes are used with blue tip 5/8" spiral balances that are 30" long. The spiral end extends about 5/8" from the blue tip or about 1" from the tube end. There is (was!) a single "pin" in the end of the spiral. The hole for the "pin" is about 3/16" from the end of the spiral. I have 8 windows to rebuild.

If you can provide replacement shoes, I'll buy all of the shoes and the balances from you. Thanks very much. Greg
User submitted photos of window balance parts.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello! I haven't been able to find a bracket exactly like this. I wonder if you could use something longer, like our 17-007, 17-012, or even 17-031. Check them out and see what you think! Hopefully you would have enough room on the bottom of the sash.
A quick learner from Los Angeles says:

Thanks for the suggestions...but none of these would work with the sash I have without some significant alteration of the sash.

Can you recommend any other source I might try to find an exact replacement?

Greg Z.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for your patience. The only other solution that comes to mind is perhaps using our 17-052 or 27-094 along with our 62-002 face guide. I'm not sure if they can work, but we have not been able to find a better match.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)