Spiral balance replacement, S306 with a 15-073

A quick learner from Houston says:
I believe I need the S306 29 inch replacements. There are no tips but I believe the red would work as I don't think the windows weigh over 22 lbs. the windows measure around 30 inches high by 33 inches wide. I have also included a tag that was on the window. Don't know if it is helpful.

It also looks like I need the 15-073 sash carrier bracket. Would the new spirals come with the the 15-073 or would I have to replace myself.

Last question is what is the easiest way to remove the old spirals. The top is squared off (see picture) so it will not go down the side window channel and it has the sash clip on the bottom that can't be removed. I got the example off by getting mean with the spiral and pulling it out of the tube. Is this the best way?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DE217BD2-4A7B-40FB-A00B-92AF09652788.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E34E7F09-1804-4E54-A932-33446A759B2A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 31C93AC2-DABA-4030-A6EE-42A9D6DE37E3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B38841E4-5F18-4F55-AF79-9303C0432932.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BEC37ACC-64DE-4024-A521-B30BDE2B957C.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! We can definitely supply these balances, though they'll have to be a custom order because of that bottom bracket. Also note that we'll be using the S300-29 as the base, not the S306-29; it will be the same thing, we just label it that way to keep our inventory straight.

I'll be making these up with a Red Tip but you really should weigh your sash to be 100% sure. You won't be able to remove your sash, so your best bet is to place a scale on a sill and lower the sash on top of it. It won't be exact, but it will suffice. If your sash exceeds the range of the Red Tip, let me know before you order and we can make some changes.

Finally, removing the old balance can be a little difficult. Your best bet is to disconnect the bottom brackets from the sash, close the window, then do your best to pull the balances up and out from the top. It won't be easy, and you might scrape your knuckles, but there isn't any other way. Please understand that the manufacturer doesn't want you to replace the balances. They'd rather you just buy an all new window, so they didn't want to make it easy. Sorry we can't offer any better tips.

A quick learner from Houston says:
I got a order for two and they work fine. Now I need 30 more S300-29 reds and two S300-23 reds with the special clip. I can't seem to get it ordered making sure that I have the right clip. Can you help
Profile picture of Tom

I'm glad they worked! Thank you so much for the update. I can send you another two order links for those sizes right now. Let me know if you have any questions.

A home owner from Cypress, TX says:
I have the same exact balances with same clip, can you give me order link for 2 balances, 29" red tip?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey there. We'd be happy to send you a custom link for two of these balances as well, but I am afraid we'll need you to first check the length of the internal spiral rod in your old balances. It should be either 1" or 2" longer than the outer tube. Sorry for this, but this determines the base spiral balance we use for building these custom balances, so it's best to get it right. Once you provide us with that information we can get this started for you. Many thanks.

A home owner from Cypress, TX says:
It is 2 inches
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Great, thanks for confirming! I'll send you that order link right now.

A quick learner from Scottsdale, AZ says:
I have the same balances with the same clip. Several of the clips have come off the bottom of the window but look like they may be able to just clip back on. But I don't know if I need to twist the spiral before I clip it back on or if the whole balance needs to be replaced. If so, the clip seems too wide to pull up with the balance. I could break the clip off the bottom but I would have the same problem getting a new balance and clip back down the side of the window. How do you install the new balance with the clip on the bottom?
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! If the clip has come loose from the frame, it couldn't hurt to give it a turn or two to see if it still has tension. You will absolutely feel the tension build when you turn it, so that will answer your question. Just make sure not to turn them more than 2-3 times. If you have to turn them any more than that then you probably need new balances.

As for removing them, it can be tricky. These install on a ton of different style windows so there's no one tried and true explanation. I can only tell you that in most cases, you should be able to sneak it behind the sash and pull it out from the top.

A quick learner from Scottsdale, AZ says:
I turned it a couple times and it seemed to still have tension so I put the clip back on again. It seems to work but it only holds the window about a third of the way up. One of the other windows only holds about half the way up. I think these balances are pretty old so I'd like to replace them but I can't seem to pull it out behind the sash with the clip on. It looks like if I take both sides of the clips off the frame, take one side of the security magnet off, there is some give in the window to move it from one side to the other that might allow the clip to go behind the sash. Is that my only option?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1405w.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1406w.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1402w.JPG
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can help here. We believe your sashes are not removable, even if you remove the magnet. To remove the old balances, have someone hold the sash in the up postilion while you use needle-nose pliers to unhook the balance clip from the sash. Be careful of the tension on the spirals when unhooking the clip. Now lower the sash and unscrew the balance tubes, then raise the sash and pull the balances out from the bottom of the sash.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)