Spiral balance with extended spiral

A quick learner from Farmersville, TX says:
My window came with 3/8 diameter x 28 long tubes. No color, but window checks 12 1/2 pounds on a scale. In order to remove old balance I had to bend it to get it out. This also meant I couldn't put a 28" back in. I called another window parts company and was told to use a 26" and lower top mount 2". I ordered balances and installed them. They worked twice and then the spiral came out. When I called them he said I Probably needed a 26" extended spiral. He didn't have them, refunded my money, and gave me your name. It looks like I need S306-26 extended with a 15-066 clip. Can you help me? PS with window closed I have 26 3/4 at the top. Open 26" at the bottom.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! I can see where your original supplier was coming from. We often have to do that ourselves and find it works well. If you need the extended spiral, then our S306-26 is indeed the part in question. The length of the inside spiral rod is 28" long. Check the 26" balance that broke just to be sure it's not the same; if it's the standard spiral rod then it will be only 27" long. 

Let me know what you come up with. If the S306-26 won't work we can try to work out another solution.

The inside spiral on the the broken one is 27" long.
Will the S306-26 have the 28" spiral or do I need a different part number?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AA224A7F-22D1-47DB-A83A-9398FD5E28D2.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Aha, I knew it! The S306-26 has a 28" long spiral, yes. My hope, then, is that the extra inch will give you the clearance you need to get those windows to close.

Last question. I dropped the original mounting point 2" to install the 26" per dealers instructions. Do I need to to raise it back to original point or leave it at the new location?
Profile picture of Tom

Well the first 26" balance you tried first fell short, right? Since you have an extra inch to play with I would keep it where it is now and see if it works. If you raise the balance back up then it would likely only fall short again.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)