Replacing the Stanley 00-5024 Closet Roller

A home owner from USA says:
I'm looking for a replacement part for the part listed above.
User submitted photos of a mirror closet door roller.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Your roller is no longer made, but you may be able to use our 23-222B as a replacement. This is the part Stanley has made to replace your old roller. Look it over and see what you think.

A landlord from Waukegan Illinois says:
The 23-222B did not fit my Stanley mirror doors having a top roller 00-5024. the doors were installed in 2004. It differed in several ways:

1. The tab on the side was at the wrong elevation for the receiving hole in the steel door frame. Perhaps I could cut a new hole.

2. the original roller had a spring action to push the roller into the side of the top rail.

3. Fatal: The original has a vertical tab at the top that fits into a groove at the top of the door. The vertical tab on the replacement is not at the correct location.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Stanley discontinued this exact roller, and at the time of writing this post the 23-222B is the only replacement available. For whatever reason, Stanley altered the design of the original roller and so it won't fit on some older tracks. One option is to try screwing the roller onto the frame itself, though I cannot be certain that this will work. Also note that we know for a fact that the 23-222B will fit into our 23-246, which is a more modern track replacement. If you can't adapt the 23-222B to work with the old track, you would need to replace the track also with our 23-246. Let us know what you think. 

A home owner from San Jose Ca says:
Need this part!!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7F583C01-D162-48EB-B814-5815782D662F.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This roller isn't made anymore, but our 23-222C is meant to replace it. The 23-222C is a newer and superior replacement to the 23-222B; we find it is more versatile and works on a wider variety of applications. Customer feedback supports this claim, as you can see hereTake a look and see what you think. 

A handy person from Boynton Beach, FL says:
I see that the Stanley 00-5024 is no longer made, however, can you supply the rubber rollers? Mine have broken and disintegrated in the home I purchased.
Profile picture of Tom

We unfortunately cannot. Those wheels are not sold separately. You will need an all new roller assembly entirely. I personally recommend the 23-222C.

A home owner from Bellevue WA says:
I ordered both 23-222B and 23-222C to replace Stanley 00-5024, mine top door track are pretty old, in case it doesn't work, will 23-222B and 23-222C works with 23-246. in case the old track doesn't fit. thanks!
Profile picture of Tom

The 23-222C is fully compatible with the 23-246 top track. The 23-222B is an outdated roller and while it will still work, it won't function as well as the 23-222C. That is always going to be my top recommendation..

A home owner from San Juan Capistrano says:

Hi,

I have mirrored closet doors using the Stanley 00-5024 roller system. I have a couple questions before I order the rollers that your site recommends. Can I use the existing top track that I have instead of ordering the 23-246 track? They look the same to me with an interior width of 1.5 inches and a vertical measurement of 1.75 inches? I would also like to know how to remove the 00-5024's from the mirrored doors. I can't see that they are attached with screws or fasteners anywhere. Thank you in advance for your help. I will be ordering (8) 23-222C's if all goes well. Thanks again ------------ Michael

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top Track.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello, Michael. As long as your old tracks are in good condition, I see no reason why they need to be replaced. They should be fully compatible with our 23-222C.

As for how to remove the 23-222C from the door, they're usually hooked on instead of screwed on. To remove them, you need to take the door down and put it on a stable surface. Then, use a pair of needle nose pliers to gently--but firmly--work them out. They're going to be really in there so you may have to wrestle it a little. There's no real science to it, it just takes patience and a solid grip.

A home owner from San Juan Capistrano says:
Hi Tom, thank you for your quick response, it's much appreciated. I'll take your advice and use my existing top track since it's in good shape. I'll give a call to order some 23-222C's and start on removing the old Stanley's. Thanks again for your help. - Mike
Profile picture of Tom

You're very welcome! Thanks so much for the order and please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

A quick learner from Riverview Florida says:
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm afraid your question didn't seem to post; was there anything in particular you wanted to know about this roller? If you were just looking to replace it, have you seen the 23-222C that we recommended above? You can review the dialogue we've had with previous customers on this very same page for more information on this part.

A quick learner from Riverview Florida says:
I have Stanley mirror roller number 00?50 24 and like to replace it please let me know what I need to order.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for reaching out to us. Have you reviewed the thread above to see what we recommend for this code? If not, I highly recommend that you do. As you can see, several customers have a match for our 23-222C roller assembly. Your next step should be to carefully compare this product to your original part to verify that they're the same.

A quick learner from La quinta, ca says:
is there a video that will show me how to remove the 00-5024 roller. It is the top roller for a sliding glass closet door. One of the top rollers has popped out of the top track. One wheel is on the inside of the closet now instead of inside the top track. The bottom adjust and wheel has also come out of the bottom track and is wedged next to e bottom frame and carpet.

These are glass doors and I don't want to do any prying on the doors.

Profile picture of Tom

We unfortunately don't have a video on how to remove this roller, but the process is fairly straightforward. The first step is to remove the door from the closet and place it on a stable surface; ideally the floor, if you have room.

Next, you want to take a pair of needle nose pliers and firmly grip the roller by its housing. Then you have to work it out by moving it side to side. These are just hooked into the frame, so there shouldn't be any screws or something. On the same hand, there's not really a trick to it: you just have to be patient and keep working it out until the hooks are free.

A quick learner from NJ says:
If I am removing the 00-5024, how do I mount the replacement 23-222C instead?
Profile picture of Tom

The 23-222C mounts to the door frame in much the same way as the original: the hooks need to secure to the slot in the door frame. Failing that, the 23-222C housing does have screw holes, so if you have space to drill new holes then that's an option you could pursue.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.