Storm Door Closer Install Problem

A quick learner from New Harbor, Maine says:

Hello, I have an Andersen Frenchwood Inswing Patio door that leads from my garage to the outside, and this door has a storm door for which the original pneumatic door closer has worn out. 

I purchased the following item from you: HD Quick-Hold Storm Door Closer 40-178. The installation directions indicate the included (triangular shaped) jamb bracket should be mounted on the door jamb, but the door jamb in my case is not flat all the way across. It is more like a raised 1" or so-wide 'ridge' with two gullies/drop offs on each side (all made of aluminum it looks like. At least two of the 4 screw holes in the jamb bracket don't have a flat surface immediately underneath the bracket, to screw into. 

With this description, can you tell if it is impossible to use the purchased door closer in my application. All 3 attached photos are taken of the door jamb area (strike jam side) looking up to the left, top corner. The small bracket in the photo is the one from the original, worn out storm door closer.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Stormdoor_closer1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Stormdoor_closer2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Stormdoor_closer3.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your patience during this busy season. This is a particular setup, so I'm not sure which of our closers would be best for you. Please give me a little more time to try to track down this style and I will get back to you ASAP.

A quick learner from New Harbor, Maine says:
Thank you for the reply. No problem on researching this more, take your time - I simply appreciate the fact that you are willing to offer advice and whatever help you can. This is not an emergency here but I am hoping to eventually solve the issue in a manner that will work - the door closer looks of very nice quality. Thank you again and I will wait to hear from you, or notify you if I can come up with something that I believe may work and would let you know immediately, however, I know you are far more of an expert than I. Michael
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

You're very kind to say so! Looking at your photos, I do have some advice. Being that you have to use that upper type of closer jamb bracket, you might not have the clearance for the 40-178 closer. Instead, you should consider the standard 40-077, which is only 1-1/4" thick. Measure the diameter of your old closer to determine if that will fit. If so, I think it's your best bet.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)