Storm window and screen latch

A home owner from Madison, WI says:

The photos show a working latch in a screen. These storms and screens were here when I bought this house 27 years ago and they are probably much older.

I haven't yet taken one apart, but it appears that the black nylon slider is separate from the grey housing on which is printed the letters AF, which I assume is the brand. I haven't been able to find "AF" online. Two photos show approximate dimensions. The third photo is a slightly oblique close up to show the shape of the end. The ends have broken off on some latches (not this one though) and the material seems dry and brittle. Perhaps if an exact replacement is not possible, there is something else perhaps longer that could work. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2675.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2677.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2678.JPG
Corner latches 91-004 and 91-005 appear to be about the right size so I ordered one of each and the corner keys 95-026 and 95-027 as a test to see if they are compatible with my storms and screens.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for contacting us. I agree, the parts you picked out look very similar. However, it will depend entirely on your dimensions. If they end up not working, you can return them to us for a refund. Then, if you tell me what the dimensions of your old parts are, we can work from there.

Well, no luck. The 5/8" height is a tad too small and the latch moves around in the track. Worse than that, the 1/4" width of the shorter leg is too wide, which is obvious now that I have taken apart the storm.

For the short leg to fit, I need 3/16" x 3/16". I looked in detail at all the parts on your site and the only one that has a chance for my situation is is the "Ratchet set" part 91-067. The height (corresponding to the 5/8"on 91-005) is not specified. Would you measure it and let me know? Thank you.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the parts you bought. I've been pouring through our records and it seems we did at one time carry a pair of latches that match your specifications, but they have been discontinued and are no longer available. Other than those two, I don't believe we have anything else that will work for you. I'm sorry that we cannot be of more help.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)