Tall Metal Closet Door

A landlord from Durham, NC says:
We have apartments that have these older tall metal closet doors and are looking for a source for replacement pins, brackets, springs, etc.. I have included pictures of the pins from one door and two styles of 72 inch track that we have installed and was hoping you could help source replacements. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191010_103056.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191010_103340.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191010_103415.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191010_103522.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191010_103608.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience in this matter. I believe we can help with this hardware, but it's all very old so we may only be able to provide substitutes. Before we go any further, can you tell me the diameter of the pins? Can you also confirm the height and width of the track? I can't really make it out from just a ruler in a photo. Please be as precise as possible. Thank you!

Thank you for your help. Going from the top down closest to the ruler: pivot pin with the washer, a nylinder, and wing nut is 5 7/16" long and 5/16" in diameter. The pin shown with 2 pin nylinders is 5 1/4" long and 1/4" diameter. The pin with 2 nylinders, spring, a cotter pin is 5 1/4" long and 1/4" in diameter. The pin show with 2 nylinders, spring and cotter pin closest to the ruler is 5 1/8" long and 5/16" in diameter. The top track is 72" long 1"thick and 3/4" roller track and the bottom track is also 72" long and 1/2" thick with 3/4" roller track. I hope this helps. Thank you.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us with this detailed info. I think I can help.

You have the old style Leigh bi-fold doors. We carry most parts for this door, but some are no longer available, such as the track and the plain 5/16" pin (your 4th bottom pin). 

What you can do is repair as many doors as you can with the old hardware. However, when you run into a door that needs new tracks, you will need to change both the pins and tracks to a newer style. The old pins will not work in the new track.

For the new track, you'll want our 21-403; this is only 71" long for your 72" opening, but as long as you center it then you should be okay. This track comes with two 21-200 pivot brackets and a 21-277 center bumper. The pins you'd want to use are one 21-001 bottom adjusting pin and then three 21-008 21-007 spring loaded guide pins for the other positions. Let me know what you think.

I've made a list of relevant hardware on this page for you to review, including the old style Leigh pins like our 21-048, 21-049, and 21-058.

We have ordered a few replacement pivots to see if we can repair some doors and ordered a couple of sets of the new tracks and pivots for the doors that need new tracks. We will be coming back for more if they work out. In the body of your response you list the spring loaded guide pins for the new track as being 21-008 which does not pull up anything so I'm assuming the 21-007 in the hardware list attached is the correct pin and number. Will you let me know if that is the wrong assumption. Thank you for your help and we look forward to doing business with you.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Sorry, that was a typo! Yes, I meant to type 21-007. Sorry about the confusion.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)