Triple coil convert to double coil?

A quick learner from Hugo, MN says:
I currnetly have a double hung window that I destroyed the coil balances on. The supports broke and the coils got twisted up a result. Had I seen one of these videos I would have learned that hte pivot shoe had a brake on it that could have saved me a lot of time. Anyway the current setup is a triple 5 lbs coil on each side is it okay to convert to a double 7.5 lb coil? Will one make it the operation of the window any smoother or more difficult? If I increase coil streght will window operation get smoother or can it actually be easy to have too much counter balance?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Actually, adding a stronger balance than was meant for your window sash will make it harder to open, not smoother. I can help you determine what coil balance you'd need, but I just need to know a bit more about what you have.

If at all possible, can you give me the weight of your window sash? Can you also send a couple pictures of an undamaged balance still in the window track, if possible? Let me know!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We would have to know the weight of your sash before we can say whether or not it's a good idea to upgrade to 7.5 pound coils. If you had 5 pound coils originally, there is probably a reason for it. Like Paul said, if your coils are too strong, your window may be too hard to open.

That said, it's possible that the 5 pound coils were the incorrect choice in the first place. If so, then moving up to 7.5 wouldn't be a bad idea. But we will need to know the sash weight either way.
A quick learner from Hugo, MN says:
I dont have pics of an undamaged one but the current setup is three 5 lbs 35in coils on each side. What I am wondering is can I simplify this with two 7.5 lbs coails for each side instead? I can try to wiegh the window sash if need be but know the current setup, I just want to know if I can go from triple 5 lbs to dual 7,5lbs.
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.