Trouble with Repairing Monarch Bifold Door

A handy person from IL says:
Good morning and happy holidays.
I am helping a friend repair her Monarch closet doors. On the double bi-folds, I have put the guides back into the pin caps and resolved much of the problems.
I have an issue with a closet door that is just one bi-fold. The door drags on the rail. Much damage, bending of door base and scratching of the rail has occurred. There doesn't seem to be anyway to "lift" the door after the guide is put into the nylon pin cap. The other closets had a nut on the upper guide that could be adjusted to raise the entire door. This pin is simply spring loaded. I'm considering several options - making a nylon spacer to fit between the lower cap and the bottom of the door....improvising a method of keeping the door so it doesn't drop down the guide (perhaps grinding a notch for a cotter pin or circlip on the guide to hold up the door )
This seems like a lot of extra work for something that should have been designed in the first place.
What am I missing ? Should there have been a threaded guide with a holding nut?
What did Monarch use to maintain clearance between the bottom of the closet door and the rails ?
Thanks so much for your attention. Your site has already helped. And I am replacing all of the guide clips with new ones. Hopefully my problem falls in the "d'uh" category and will be easily remedied !
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Is there a threaded pivot pin on the bottom corner of the door to lower and raise the door?

No, just a smooth spring loaded pin with a circlip style fastener at the top of the pin to prevent it from coming out of the door.
I may have mis-spoke. Which bottom corner ? Looking from the outside at the front of the door, the left side is the stationary portion, with the right panel being the section that travels along the guide rail.
Due to the closet being full, I am not able to get a clear view of the inner left side. I don't know if that is an adjustable part.
If this is necessary, I will have the closet emptied, and do some more sleuthing the next time I am there.
That might also allow me to get some photos which could make the problem a lot easier to solve.
Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul

Yes you will need to remove the belongings in the closet to get to the bottom left side of the door to adjust the threaded pin that is stationary.

Thanks, this makes sense, and I will investigate.

I sent another related question that may negate all of this, but it may have fallen thru the cracks. I plan to replace the guide rail since it has roughened due to the bottom of the door riding on it and the pin caps no longer glide smoothly.

From another posting on your site, I inferred that the rail is no longer made, and a new style will be required.

If I replace the guide rail on the bottom of this Monarch style closet door, what are the new parts that I will have to acquire that will fit in this new size rail....the rail part number itself, the threaded support pin, and the guide pin and caps.

Thanks so much.

Profile picture of Paul

Take a look at our 21-450, 21-452, 21-453, and 21-455 tracks. These are all the same aside from length. I believe these should work with your 23-112 and 21-455 door pins.

Thanks to you and your staff for the attention and assistance. It is so rare to actually be able to engage knowledgeable customer service people, and you handled my questions rapidly. Kudos to all of you! I have all the information that I need !!
Profile picture of Paul

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are always happy to help, of course! Please let us know if you have any other questions and we will do our best to assist.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)