Trying to Identify 17 5 BP CAKDWELL

A quick learner from Santa Cruz California says:
Hello and thanks for your Digital support!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named ABE28333-4062-482F-93A4-B437ADDFF069.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 915AF245-5F6E-416C-92C5-B9602A1594AC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9AB57132-C39E-455E-BC93-6C26FA25F83D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1DCF1D2D-56BD-4EF6-8FDB-EA25DB1BA6FF.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8D4E20F7-11B7-4019-A821-37C78631DD25.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This looks like either an S380-18 or S385-18. The only difference between these two balances is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe, or the heel-to-toe measurement, so compare both with your old hardware to see what matches best. In either case, choose 1750 as a new stamp option.

A quick learner from Santa Cruz California says:
Hello Bob!
Love your photo, you look like a literary figure or a Professor.....

1. Is the SHOE the plastic piece at the Identity side of the device? (where the pulley system has crossed string an a retractable hook?

2. my internal spring kas light rust on it
it just falls with gravity to the bottom of the window, do i REHOOK that retractable item? (to the slot in the vertical wall?

thanks for your excellent support
however permit me to appreciate what is 1750 "Stamp option"?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1437.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1436.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1435.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1438.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for the kind words! Truthfully, I was just very cold when we took pictures that morning. I am, however, still in school and enjoy writing, so I suppose you're not very far off! 

The shoe is the bottom nylon fitting that you're indeed showing in your photos. The depth is shown in the second picture, the 'heel-to-toe' measurement just below and perpendicular to where the metal channel ends. The illustration below better shows the difference between the 1" Series 385 shoe and the 1-3/32" Series 385 shoe. Double-check to confirm. If the shoe is any deeper than 1", then it's a Series 385

Our replacement balances come fully assembled, with new fittings and internal spring components. The video below shows how to install the new balances. 

Finally, yes--the stamp option indicates the weight range the balance is calibrated to support. For non-tilt window channel balances, technically the first two digits, in your case 17, refer to the height of visible glass in the window. This is usually one value fewer than the actual length of the metal channel (in your case, this should be 18"). The remaining digit(s) indicate the weight range the balance can support. So a stamp of 1750 (or, on your old balance, 17-5) can support a window sash in the weight range of 17 through 20 pounds. 

Let me know if you have any further questions! 

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.