Two Problems

A quick learner from Ohio says:

Good morning! I have a problem with an order I recently placed (for 95-129 and 95-257). The tilt key set and self lock window corner are too--I guess the word would be deep?--for the frames. I'm attaching a picture of why my local hardware used. The problem with his piece is that, while it fits, the piece that's suppose to slot into the storm is too large and constantly breaks off. I'm going on strike and refusing to pay 35.00 each time a screen/storm is repaired only to have this happen. Your videos have given me the confidence to repair these myself. MIght you be able to help me find the right fit and could I return these I purchased in error?

The corner key (which is not the original but works) is 1 and 6/16" square. It's a quarter inch side.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0564 (1).JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us! The 95-257 definitely looks too big. Do you have an undamaged version of the original nylon corner that we can see? Can you also confirm the width and thickness of the legs? We have a couple 1/4" corners, but I'll need more detail to decide which to recommend.

I do not have an undamaged version but can tell you that they're prox 1 6/16" square and 1/4 wide. The nylons (nibs)--not original to this 100 year old house--tend to snap off when they're installed into the windows b/c they're too side.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. I understand that they're 1/4" wide, but can you also tell me their thickness? The length of each leg doesn't matter, only their width and thickness.

For example, if you look at the 95-129 that you purchased from us, you'll see that the leg is 3/8" wide and 3/16" thick. We need that same measurement for your original corner.

Yes, it's a 1/4 inch square so that the chest facing against the frame and the shoulders going into the frame measure 1/4
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, maybe I can  help. Take a look at the 95-140 corner with the self locking clips. These may work for you. Also take a look at the 95-232 pair of off set corners. Maybe you need to use off set corners in your storm sash. To be honest, though. I'm not sure what to recommend. It's difficult to narrow it down without seeing an unbroken piece.

Thank you - I'll give both a try and report back with, hopefully, good news. I have a basement full of screens and storms.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)