Unable to Remove Broken Plunger Pins

A home owner from Florida says:
Most of our window screen plunger pins are not functioning. They seem to be frozen. The pins will not pull back or push forward. I tried spraying lubricant in the screen hole. The screens are about 15 years old but in good condition other than the plunger pins. How can you remove broken plunger pins from the screen to replace them? Also, once removed the pin seems to be tapered on the ends. What replacement part would I need?
User submitted photos of a screen pin.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. You will need to cut off the black cap to remove the old pin. Your old pins seen to have a pointed end like our 70-219, but I think you might be able to use our metal 70-008. The only issue is you might have to file the ends to a point to fit in the hole. What do you think?

A quick learner from Florida says:
If I cut off the caps they should come out? I can't get the cap to pull back or move forward on most of them right now. The 70-219 may work but I would like to have metal if possible.
I was able to remove one pin that was in the screen that didn't have a cap on. It is 1.5" long total. In between the grooves it is 1" long.
User submitted photos of a screen pin.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! I agree with Paul, especially after seeing these new pictures. This is no longer available. When we were manufacturing screens once upon a time, we used the 70-009 and ground down the ends to a point. However you seem to have a corrosion problem. Take a look at the 70-219, which is made of nylon. That might be a better choice.
Thank you, I will try them!
A quick learner from Chicago says:
Mine are stuck as well but unfortunately the screen is still in place in window... I tried pulling them down with pliers only to poke tiny holes in the screen! How can I remove screen if u cannot get plunger to release? Do I have to find s way to saw off the top piece?? Mine seem to be made of metal...
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Try spraying WD40 on the pins and letting it soak for an hour or two and then see if the pins will retract for you. Let us know how it goes.

A quick learner from Hawaii says:
Hi. What if the pin has broken off and the screen is still on the window? How would I remove the plunger to remove the screen?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200403_100308.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200403_100321.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I would suggest again using a spray lubricant. Specifically, you want to spray into the pin hole to lubricate and loosen up the spring and pin. Then you would use a set of long nose pliers to pull the end of the pin. That should disengage the screen from the window frame.

A quick learner from Texas says:
Bought a 35 year old house, has the above mentioned screen plunger pins in the front patio addition windows. Need to replace screen material due to hail storm. Do the black caps unscrew to release the screen? The pliers pulled them all but screen is still attached. How do I proceed, please with these plunger pins? Thanks for your advice!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I've never heard of a plunger pin cap having to screw off to release. These are designed to allow you to simply pull the caps straight in to release the screen from the frame. If you've done that, and the screen still won't release, then they're either stuck or broken. Removal at this stage may be difficult. I would advise contacting a local professional to come out and look at your window to determine the source of the issue. 

How to install the 70-009 window screen frame plunger pin
How to install the 70-009 window screen frame plunger pin
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a screen window plunger pin
How to install a screen window plunger pin
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.