Upper Sash doesn't sag, but it won't go all the way to the top

A home owner from Lansing, IL says:
Hello! Your website, with pictures and explanations is wonderful!! Based on a previous post, I ordered your 26-125 pivot bar because the previous pivot bar's plastic housing was very cracked, which also cracked the bottom of my sash. You recommended the 26-125 for more stability. The 26-125 works great! However, it measures 2-3/4, instead of 3". I didn't think it would matter, but I could use a little extra width overall. Do you offer something similar that's a little longer?

One more question. I replaced all of my spiral balances as many of my sashes were sagging. One particular upper sash (the same one where I replaced the pivot bars with 26-125) doesn't sag, but I am unable to push it all the way to the top without it slipping out of the pivot shoes. I am positive that my new spiral balances are the same length as the old ones, so I am hesitant to order shorter spiral balances. Any recommendations? When pushing up the upper sash, it stops about 1" shy of reaching the top.

Any advice is appreciated. Love your website and your advice. And, my pivot bar parts were delivered much faster than expected. Thanks again!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

We unfortunately don't carry a longer pivot bar that's similar in design to the 26-125. What I do to repair a cracked bottom rail is to use the original pivot bar (in your case, the 26-125) along with a "washer" behind the screw. The washer helps hold the crack in the sash rail together.  Just note that this is a temporary fix and that you should consider replacing the sash entirely at some point.

As for the balance, it does sound like the one you installed for that top sash is too long. Take note that the balance used for the top sash isn't always the same size as the bottom. You always have to check. In some cases it will be shorter by an inch or two. If you have another window of the same size in the house, check the that balance as a reference. 

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.