Vinyl window balance

A handy person from Astoria OR says:
I am attempting to locate replacement window balances.
The Hotel I maintain has several different window sizes, however they all use the same model of balances. All ends are the same.

The size I am currently in need of measures 26 3/4 inches. I believe it would be considered 27 inch. It is also a 1/2 channel.

By your pictures, it looks more closely to your 380 series Balance.
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sure, I think we can definitely help. Our Series 380 won't work for you; you have a unique balance that will need to be custom made. Fortunately, we've done this many times before so it shouldn't be any issue. All I would like to know is the number printed on your metal channel and how many you're interested in. We can work from there!
A handy person from Astoria OR says:
I don't know if this thread is still valid or not. If not I can restart it.

We have several of the same size windows in the Hotel, but the problem is some will hardly hold the window up, and others are so stiff you can hardly close the window. Because of this we are having the cords and or sash guides break.
At this time I would like to find 2 to see if we can find an appropriate weight for our windows

Then the fun really begins, because we have windows in the hotel that require balances ranging from 12" to 27"
channel balance stamp
A handy person from Atoria, OR says:
Unfortunately, the custom balances we received only hold the window up 50% of the way. I need to get a stronger version. I'll also need to order some of the same type balance in a 14" length. The 14" balances are stamped 149 BSI DB.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out. Can you tell me the exact weight of the sash these balances are supporting?
A handy person from Astoria, OR says:
Yes Tom

The 27" Balances are supporting a 43 lbs. sash
the 14" will be supporting a 19 lbs. sash
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I see. That's very strange. The stamp on your original balance indicates the sash is 34 pounds. I wonder if the manufacturer got it backwards.

Either way, we can send you new order links for these different sized balances. I would just like to confirm that the 14" balances are identical in every way, aside from size. Can you also tell me how many you need?
A handy person from Astoria, OR says:
The 14" are identical with the excepting in size and stamp.

I would like a quote for 1 set each at this time.
Once we can find a weight that works correctly, I will be ordering additional backups.

I will contact you for an additional quote at that time.

Thank you very much for your help.
Scott
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you. I think knowing the exact sash weights will be a huge help--it's clear that whoever installed your original balances just kind of installed whatever they had lying around. In neither case did the stamp option (which represents spring strength) match your sash, but they will now! I've just emailed you two order links, you should receive them soon.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)