WIndows do not stay open

A quick learner from New Jersey says:
Thank you for this service! Home built in 1978. Two windows do not stay open and I believe it is due to snapped ribbons. One window measures 29.5 in x 20 in. The other is 21.5 in x 17.5 in. Attached coil system photos are from the smaller window. I can not locate any markings on the windows or frames for make/model identification. Local window shop also not sure. Any help in identifying these coil systems would be appreciated.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8432.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8433.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8434.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8435.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

You pivot shoe appears to be an older version of our 15-180 that's designed to be used with the Series 190 coil springs and 15-181 double support clip. Look over the specifications for this part and see what you think. 

If you can tell me the exact weight of your sash, I can work out what coil weight you'll need from there. 

A quick learner from New Jersey says:

Hi Emily,

Thank you for your reply! I truly appreciate it.

WEIGHTS

Bathroom window: 8.2 lbs

Dining room window: 11.6 lbs

Do you think replacing these parts will make the windows stay open again?

Thanks!

You're a life saver!

-Sam

Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

No problem, Sam! Always happy to help. 

For your bathroom window, you can use (1) S190-440 4 pound spring on each side of the window which will total 8 pounds of overall support. As for the dining room window, I recommend using (1) S190-640 6 pound spring on each side of the window. This would total 12 pounds of overall support but should be fine as long as the coil weights are within a pound of the sash's actual weight. Note, you'll also need the 15-186 balance clip since you're using one coil per side. 

If the balances are the culprit, and it sounds like they are, replacing them should indeed help your windows stay open again. 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.