WeatherCraft Window

A handy person from York, Pa says:
I am looking for a spring/coil that assist in raising the window. The one that broke is on the right side of the frame looking at it from the inside. The window measures 32 wide and about 34 high. The coil material looks like a metal band, stainless steel. IMGP2338-you can see the broken steel band and IMGP2339 is the upper part that hold the end in place. Both pictures are rotated 90 degrees. Thanks much, Rich
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello, Rich. I believe your coil springs are screwed onto the pivot shoe. I recognize the coil spring bushings, which resemble our 15-143, 15-144 and 15-145. From your sash size, the weight might be be around 24 pounds, but I recommend weighing it on a scale to be sure.
Sorry for the slow response. I was on vacation when I received your reply and then I got rapped around other projects. I measured the window like you mentioned and it was 10.5 lbs. The deminsions that I gave you in my first post was the over all size of the. Not the removable window. So, the sash size would be 29"x17". Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much Rich
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks! I would recommend our S152-5 coil spring. Each individual S152-5 can carry 5 pounds, so using two will carry 10 pounds. I think that should be okay for your sash.
I ordered the 15-158 shoe for my windows. They don't quite look like what i have, but they measure about the same. Looks like I will need to cut a slot in the one end to install the window guide. My window frame does not have an opening and I really don't want to spent the money for the spreaders. I was thinking about cutting a slot out at the top of the window, under the window stop to remove the coil bushing cap and the shoe. Do you think there will be any issues. Thanks much Rich. O'yea, I like all the veido that you have on your web site for people like me.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Rich! Speaking of our videos, we actually have one relevant to the project you have in mind. Cutting a slot in the jamb is a good solution in situations like this. Hopefully this tutorial helps.
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.