Weatherstripping for 90 y/o casement windows

A home owner from Los Angeles says:
Hi, I have a 90 year old house with several, inward-opening casement windows (1 3/8" thick). The widows were rebuilt and weatherstripped on the top and sides of the frame but we never found a solution for the bottom.

Driven and heavy rain will overwhelm the slight incline built into the sash. A drip cap will help keep the water from riding the face of the window and wrapping underneath but I would also like a seal of some sort. The fact that they open to the inside makes it a little tricky.

The home is almost 90 years old, and the windows had been fixed panes but are now hinged casement windows (custom built to match an existing set). There is nothing but a simple slope in the sash below the window frame to encourage water to flow away from the house.

What options do I have?

Thank you.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The major issue here is that the window swings in. You will have to install some type of trim, but I do not think we carry anything of the appropriate dimensions. One option is to contact a wood shop and see if they can make you an angled piece of wood trim to install on the bottom rail of the window sash itself.

After that, you can install one of our weatherstripping on this new wood trim, such as 58-053 and 58-055 Bubble Seals, 58-170 Foam Filled Weatherseal, and 58-173 Vinyl Weatherstrip.

The main goal though is to make or issue some type of custom angled trim to deflect the water to the outside.
A home owner from Los Angeles says:
I can make the wood trim, the challenge has been the seals. These are very helpful, thank you for the links.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)