Which Spiral Window Balance do I order

A quick learner from White Plains NY says:
I've attached three photos of the spiral window balances I want to replace. The plastic tubes covering the spring are missing having broken off over the years. A remnant measured approximately 5/8 inch in diameter so I assume the 5/8 inch tube size is what I need (it certainly wasn't 3/8 inch). The bottom of the spring has a white plastic fitting so I assume white would designate the appropriate spring weight. The bottom mounting bracket is visible in the photos - i'm not sure what you would recommend in that regard. The length of the spring to the bottom of the white plastic fitting is 21 1/2 inches. What do I need to order and do I need to order a crank or some tool to charge the springs?

Many thanks,
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I think you should consider our S500-22 spiral balances. These have been used to replace balances like yours since the 50's. You would also need a bracket like our 17-007 and maybe some 33-089 screws. Finally, I would suggest either the 75-004 or the 75-005 charging tool. Let me know if you agree.
A quick learner says:
Many thanks for your help - I've ordered the parts you suggested.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)