Wilmer sliding door replacement rollers

A quick learner from Anderson, IN says:

I have a sliding glass door installed in 1999 needling replacement rollers. There is a plastic plug on the interior wood side that exposes a Philip screw slot, which I believe is the center of the bearings, but there is nothing on each end for adjusting the rollers up and down like you see on videos. You can't simply raise this door up and pull out at the bottom to get it off the track to identify the correct replacement part because the exterior face of the door hangs over the track. 

Not finding anything on the internet to help regarding its removal. There is a 3/4 in piece of wood on the interior that hides the track side with screws vertically installed into the header I could remove but still it appears the entire track needs removed. Any suggestions on getting it out so I could get the correct rollers?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid I'm not sure what kind of hardware you may have. It's very odd for a patio glass door roller to simply not have an adjustment screw. 

I'd be happy to look over your door if you were to submit photos of the setup at hand, but to be honest you might be better served by contacting a local professional to come out and look at your door. This sounds like something that will take some hands-on experimentation to get out of the frame, which is unfortunately a limit of our service.

Below are pics of the door. I took a pry bar to take the pressure off the roller, removed the plastic cap and turned the screw to adjust the roller downward on both ends. This being the only logical place to adjust. The adjustment looks more like a 4 lobe clover not a slotted Phillips head type. The door is 22 years old and I am sure the roller assemblies need replaced. The only way I can see to remove the slider assemblies out of the bottom is to remove the wood cover hiding the track at the top and remove the screws in the track header to pull the slider top towards the inside to get the bottom lip of the door off the track. The problem then becomes identify the correct assemblies to buy, put the door back up when the new parts arrive and repeat the process.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CEAAC80E-76D5-42D8-8183-7B41C0951EC8.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AAF7BD34-B168-418B-8319-0D51C24D9180.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 61C402F3-C44E-4ACE-909C-4FFF494CBFE9.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 877A61F3-96CA-4594-9BE9-C584C4238DA7.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 30884B08-8503-44FE-A6DD-11F7A910BF80.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, maybe I can help.

I believe the screw that you exposed by removing the nylon plug is the adjustment screw for the roller. Take a look at the rollers listed on this page, which are all used by Andersen. These have that same side adjustment to raise or lower the door. 

Andersen commonly used the 81-018 on their older doors, which had two mounting tabs. You could have the newer style 81-128, which Andersen started using in 1997. The only way to know for sure what you have is to remove the original. 

All that said, based on the description of your problem it is possible that your rollers might only need minor adjustments. Have someone help you to try lifting the door to take the weight off the roller while you adjust it. 

I used a pry bar to raise the door then adjusted the screw on each side to raise it up. While this helps the door slide better it is 22 years old and replacing both rollers before complete failure is needed. The trick is understanding the correct method for removing and identifying the correct replacement rollers, put it back up until they arrive and repeat the process to reinstall. That may require removing the inside top rail screws completely so I can tilt it back?
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Stainless Steel Sliding Glass Door Tandem Roller, 81-149
SWISCO Stainless Steel Sliding Glass Door Tandem Roller, 81-149
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace an Andersen roller in a sliding glass patio door
How to replace an Andersen roller in a sliding glass patio door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.