Window Balance Issues

A quick learner says:
I have a window issue that I need help on. The overall length of the balance is 17 1/4 inches in length and 7/16 inches in width and I think it could be to long for the window. The customer had problems keeping the window open and keeping the balances secure in the jamb. The window is 18 1/2 inches in height and 22 1/2 inches in width. So I think that the balance is to long but I'm not sure because that's not my background. There is also a clip at the top of the window track which broke in trying to get it out. So let me know hat you think. Pictures are attached.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Many thanks for your correspondence. I believe we can help you figure out what you need, but I'm going to need some more information to make an assessment.

First, there should be a stamped code on the front of the balance channel. Could you take a picture of this code for us? 

Second, can you measure out the visible glass height of the window sash? 

Finally, are your window frames made of vinyl or metal?

Also, the clip at the top of the window track that broke is our 16-002.

Let us know your findings.

A quick learner says:
The picture should show you the stamped code. The visible glass size about 17 1/2 by 21 1/2. Inches and the frame is metal. The frame is about 1/2 inch around the sash.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Your customer has a S800-17 Channel Balance with a spring weight 16C, which is for a sash weighing 12 through 19 lbs. I don't think the balance is too long; your customer has one balance broken, and that can cause the window to not operate properly or keeping the balances in the jamb. They might also a top guide like our 18-036 that is broken; that can cause problems. Are these the original balances that came with the window?

How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify a replacement channel balance
How to identify a replacement channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.