Window Balance Replacement

A quick learner from Middletown, DE says:

I own a 15 year old house. I do not have any information on the window manufacturer. There are not any numbers on the window nor the balance itself. It is a coil balance yet I will gladly do a spiral balance if necessary The window is a double-hung with muntin bars inside of the double pained glass. 

The lower window itself; window only; size is 31.5" length by 33" wide. The total window measurements are 63.5 high and 34" in width. I can weigh the bottom window if needed. It is double paneled glass and most likely weighs in the 20lb range. 

I have attached a picture of the broken balance. I was given your company name by a friend and I sincerely appreciate any help you can give me! 

Terry

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window coil balance 2018.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi Terry, 

I would be happy to help. Based on your photos, it looks like you have our 15-175 pivot shoe and our Series 152 spring. If you could just confirm the weight of your sash and let me know what that is, just to be on the safe side, that would be great!

A quick learner from Delaware says:
Tom,

The weight of my sash is 20 pounds US! I thank you so much for your help

I will be ordering 6 of each should you tell me this is the balance.

Terry
Tom,

The sash is 40 pounds US. If your prediction is correct I will be ordering 6 balances. Thank you for your help and I will wait your direction.

Terry
Profile picture of Tom

I just want to confirm before making a recommendation, is your bottom sash 20 or 40 pounds?

Sorry Tom. It is 20 lbs

Terry
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you. For a twenty pound sash, we recommend using two S152-5 springs on each side of the sash. Each of these carries 5 pounds, so having two on each side should be perfect for a 20 pound sash. 

Since you're using two springs on each side this time instead of one, you will also need a couple extra retainers. I recommend our 15-144 bushing cap and 15-145 barrel. You'll want both a cap and barrel for each spring.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.