Window Latch Operator

A quick learner from Bainbridge Island, WA says:
A label says "WEATHERVANE WINDOW CO Series; VANTAGE CSMNT/AWN
I don't know how to remove the broken mechanism. The gears are stripped!
The windows were installed about 20 years ago.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0885.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0886.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0887.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0888.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! If the gears are stripped then you'll definitely need a new operator. See our 39-253R, I think this will work well as a replacement.

As for removal, you should be able to simply disconnect the dual arms from the bracket and track, then unscrew the base from the sill. The video I'm about to show you features a different style operator, but the process of replacement is more or less the same. The only difference is that you probably won't have to remove the sill trim in any way, since you appear to have clear access to the screws.

A quick learner from Bainbridge Island, WA says:

Your video was a big help! It gave the confidence to pry out the mechanism. It was cemented in and I was afraid of breaking something. The arms cannot be removed without unscrewing the rails from the window. This was 5 more screws (for a total of 20)

What is the brand name and part number for this?

Do you sell parts?

Can I get instructions for installing the device?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0894 - Copy.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm glad you were able to remove this hardware! Looks like you took the sash track, bracket, and hinge along with it. I still think our 39-253L and 39-253R that I mentioned are our best options. The operator in this specific photo is our 39-253L. Is there any reason you don't think this will work? Looking at your first batch of pictures, I can just about make out a slider like our 39-529 still in the track. As long as that matches then I think this operator is what you want.

You can probably reuse your old slider, sash track, and bracket. They look like they're in good condition and they'd just pop on the new operator.

I also don't know if you need a new hinge, but our 36-048 will work for your sash as long as you replace the top and bottom at the same time.

As for installing the new operator, you just reverse the process you already went through to remove it from the window.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)