Window Shoe and Spring

A home owner from Massachusetts says:
My sash won't stay up. The spring has become uncoiled (but not broken) but I couldn't coil it again. I need to know what parts I should get as well as how to remove them as the track doesn't seem to have an opening to get the shoe/spring out.

Your videos on you tube are helpful, I just couldn't find my style.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2685.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This is a 15-177 Pivot Shoe, which uses our Series 152 Coil Balances. Watch the video below that shows how to remove and replace coil balance systems; while it's for a different Series, the principles should work the same way. If the window isn't staying open, the springs are likely broken and should be replaced. Look for stamps on the springs that indicate what spring weights to select. If there are no stamps, or you are uncertain, obtain the exact weight of the window sash. Give me that exact weight, and we can work out what you require. 

A home owner from Massachusetts says:
Thank you for responding, I could not find any stamp on the coils so I weighed the sash (10.6 lb) and measure it 19 3/4 inches tall, 27 1/4 inches wide.
The track seems to be 1 1/4 inch wide as best I can measure it.

I assume I should replace both sides at the same time. I think that means I need to order two 15-177 pivot shoes but am not sure on the coils since the coils housing only has one coil in the plastic housing but it appears there is a second coil that is outside of that housing...does that seem correct?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

These coil balance systems are modular, meaning you really only need to replace the damaged components. However, I think it's sometimes best to replace both springs anyways just to ensure they both have the same spring weight; otherwise there could be problems with one side of the window having a stronger or weaker balance force than the other, which leads to poor window regulation. If the window weighs 10.6 pounds, use the S152-5 5 pound spring. Use one of these on each side of the sash, for a total of 10 pounds of support overall--being within 1 pound of the exact sash weight works fine. 

These coils connect to the 15-177 shoe with a 33-072 screw. You can then use the housing components 15-143, 15-144 and 15-145. These sandwich around the coil spring. 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.