Window balance identification

A quick learner from Edmond, OK says:
We just placed an order for window balances (708903) and we think we may have ordered incorrectly. We purchased the 870 window balance without shoes. Can we use the shoes we currently have, or do we have to buy the balances with the shoes attached?
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, you can exchange the terminal clips on the S870-28 balance with your old shoes. The simplest way is with a table vise. Slightly open the vise jaw, pull the terminal clip to extend the cord, and lock the cord in the vise. Now you can untie the clip and tie on your old shoe. When you finish, hold on the shoe and slowly release the vise jaw to release the cord without breaking the balance. Be VERY careful, as if you don't have a firm hold of it when you disengage the vise then it will snap back and likely break, or even hurt you. I recommend wearing gloves and safety goggles, just in case.
A home owner from Edmond, OK says:
It's obvious that it will me more time consuming to do it this way, but doable. So we are looking into canceling this order and ordering the balances with shoes attached but we can't find shoes that match exactly. Can they give us any direction on that?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I don't think you'll find the same balance shoes. The window industry has been slowly phasing out this style of balance and shoe for a while now and they're getting harder and harder to acquire. The Series 870 is the last of this type we have in stock, and there's a good chance that once it's gone we won't be able to provide an exact match anymore.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)