Window balance weight

A quick learner from California says:
Hello,

I have a 22-3 window channel balance.
I know that 22" Series 380 Channel Balance
Product Code: S380-22 is the right balanced for me. But not sure what option to choose. Seems like 2160 is the option for me. Is it?
Regards,

Eric

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-9/15/2022, 4:50:20 PM.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window5.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Eric. The Series 380 channel balance will unfortunately not work for you. What you have here is an extended travel channel balance, named for the fact that it uses a different style pulley system. The give-away here is that the pulley wheel is built into your bottom fitting, which is not the case on our S380-22. I know that doesn't seem like a big difference but it's a deal breaker. The Series 380 will not replace this.

We can supply extended travel balances like yours, but it will have to be a custom order. To start, please confirm the length of the metal channel; in your case, it should be 22-5/8". Please also show me a clear photo of the metal hook that was at the end of the cord.

Lastly, I will need to know how many balances you need to purchase. Once I know that we can get the ball rolling.

Hello Tom!

Here is a picture of the metal hook. The metal piece is 22 5/8 yes.
Regards,

Eric
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220919_084607.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220919_084619.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, thank you! All I need now is a count. We have to set the quantity for you ahead of time, in an effort to monitor our stock.

Once I have that, I will email you a purchase link and price quote that you may use to place an order on our site.

Hello,
I just need 2 of them.
Regards,
Eric
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds good! I'll email that link over to you right now. 

A couple things before you pull the trigger on this: you had mentioned at the start that you're unsure of which option you need. Since your old stamp is 22-3 then we would just stick with that, but you should note that two balances with this calibration can hold a sash weighing 11 through 18 pounds. If you have any doubts, you can always weigh your sash on a scale and check if it falls in that range. As long as it does then you should be good to go.

Lastly, I wanted to share a picture of how the bottom fitting and clip are designed on ours. The metal clip is a slightly different style, but it's just an updated version of your original. As for the shoe, yours should be the same shape, but there are other variations. If your shape differs in any way, please let me know and I would be happy to look into other options. 

Otherwise, you can use that order link I just emailed to place an order.

swisco.com
A quick learner from CA says:
Hello Tom,
I weighted the sash. It's 20 pounds. Does it change the estimated balance you have for me?
Regards,
Eric
Profile picture of Tom

Good morning! If your sash is 20 pounds then that would change how much weight it can support, yes. A better stamp would be our 22-4, which carries 18-22 pounds.

Now, the choice is ultimately yours as to which stamp you go with. If the original balances worked fine all these years without issue then I would stick with that just to be safe. After all, the original installers may have had a good reason to go with that 22-3 stamp option. I don't like to mess with success.

However, if the window was always a hassle to open or if it always felt like it was too heavy, then 22-4 may very well fix that issue. It is definitely better suited to your sash weight and it's entirely possible that the original installers actually didn't know what they were doing. Happens all the time! 

What I'll do is email you a similar purchase link for the 22-4 option. You can then make your decision from there. They will be the same exact price so nothing really changes about the order except for how much weight the springs support.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.