Window repair parts

A home owner from USA says:
I have two windows - floor to ceiling- that open from the middle up. There's supposed to be a cord on the side that keeps them open. Mine are broken. A guy from Home Depot over the phone said they sound like "aluminum single hung sash balance windows". I haven't been able to find parts to have it repaired. I've attached photos of one of the windows. I hope you have the parts. Here are two shots of the part.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm having trouble finding this balance. First, it appears that someone replaced the cords already before. The orange color is a dead giveaway. Normally, you aren't supposed to replace just the cord, since these are fairly delicate systems and have to be calibrated very specifically. Usually replacing the cords throws that all out of whack, so it's no surprise you're having problems now.

That said, I cannot quite make out what your balance is. There should be some kind of clip or shoe at the end of the cord that will give us an indicator of what you need.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)