Window replacement parts

A home owner from California says:
I believe I've identified the replacement parts but wanted to double check. Top Sash Guide as 18-008 and Channel Balance 27" 350 profile 2630. My windows have issues with the channel balance randomly shooting through the tops. Comparing all TSG's in the House most of them look to be in good shape but still do it regardless. I'm going to replace them to cover all bases but some of my windows don't fit snug (they wobble side to side when you open/close them) and those are the windows that the problem occurs with. Would a larger 1 1/8" shoe stabilize that wobble and fix the problem? Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3C35EA75-0E4C-496A-8D22-997AC732E8F1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2630
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E6F8B77F-E41F-407B-85A4-F0B8981A5435.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EC08A950-E04D-4693-A516-582AF310FD36.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3B0187A6-3585-4020-9E51-C9A072103901.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm afraid neither of the parts you picked out will work. The top sash guide looks to be a match for our 18-171 and your channel balance will actually have to be a custom order, since it has a unique configuration. If you remeasure your metal channel, you'll see that it is closer to 26-7/8".

Your photos pretty much tell us everything we need to get started, but before we go any further I'd like you to tell me how many balances you needed. Once I know that, I'll email you an order link and price quote for that quantity.

Thanks Tom! I would need 2 channel balances and maybe 2 dozen top sash guides. Nearly every window in my home has broken guides.

Part 18-171 does look like an exact replacement but there is a problem with that part in my window. They have all cracked at the joint between between the bottom half and the recessed part at the top because the tops flex backward under pressure. There doesn't seem to be any mechanical reason why they used this part as there is no support behind the top part which causes them to crack.

Have you ever held 18-171 and 18-008 up together and compared them? I'd be interested to see them side by side. The dimensions on your site suggest only one difference that would affect me and that is the lowest mounting hole is off by 1/32" but considering the extreme variances of my windows that shouldn't be an issue, and part 18-008 might hold up better.

Is there any difference between a custom balance that is 1/8" shorter vs the off the shelf version other than the length? Once again, for my windows it doesn't look like 1/8" will affect it in any way that I can see.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3155.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

While we usually recommend sticking with what you have, based on the description of your problem I think you can get away with using the 18-008  on your sash.

As for the balance, 1/8" makes more of a difference than you might think. Other than that, there's also the matter of the cord length; your particular balance is custom because it has an extra long cord. Using one of our standard balances means that the cord will yank out of place when you try to close your window.

It's my experience that standard balances cannot replace these. It's always ended in the stock balances breaking after a few weeks, or even days. Ultimately, though, it's up to you. I'll email you an order link for 2 and you can decide what you'd like to do from there.

Thanks for the Info. Do you have the lengths of the different cords for each balance? Also do you sell replacement cord or only complete balances? It might be easier for me to just re-cord them. My particular window is 4ft 10" so it doesn't seem bigger than average when considering a 27" balance? Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom

We do not sell replacement cords and I do not know a company that does. It is highly recommended that customers do not attempt to try it themselves. These balances are under a lot of tension and if done improperly, the mechanism can get away from you and you could hurt yourself. It's easier and more cost effective to just replace the balance.

Do you have the lengths of the different cords, custom vs standard?
Profile picture of Tom

I don't have access to that information, unfortunately. I'm not sure I'll be able to get a hold of the exact numbers due to the quarantine. 

We usually always suggest sticking with what was installed in the window to begin with. If you want to try out our stock balances anyway, you're welcome to do so, but I want to stress that we don't recommend it. I've known many customers who have tried and I've known none who were successful. I just don't think they'll work.

Hey Tom, I just got off the phone with Swisco office trying to get the numbers. So there is no way to getting the difference of the cord length numbers? I'm going to end up ordering new balances for most of my windows, 2 is just the first order to make sure everything is right, and need to be sure if I'm going to be investing 2.5x the price that I know the differences so I can see for myself how it will affect them. Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom

That is not information I can get for you at this time, no. All I can tell you is that the custom balance I recommended will work for you. The stock balance, on the other hand, won't. Many many customers have tried and all have failed. 

It's simply not the right part. Even ignoring the the cord length, you also have to contend with the metal channel length, the style of the shoe, the position of the pulley wheel at the bottom, and countless other little differences in its construction. It's just not worth considering. They're two entirely different parts for two different windows. One is a match and the other isn't. You don't want the part that doesn't match and never works when you have access to the part that does match and always works.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.