Windows won't stay up

A quick learner from St. Louis, mo says:

I bought a house that has some window sashes that don't stay up. Here is the photo showing spring and nylon part connected to it. Should the nylon part be connected to the sash? If so, how? I can't find anything online with this nylon part.

Thanks,

Kirk

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200207_150955.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Greetings Kirk. It seems that your nylon shoe that is connected to the coil spring seems to be missing the bottom hole to accept the 20-016 tilt pin attached to the sash. To repair your window, first tilt in and remove the bottom and top sashes. Now pull the vinyl jamb liners from the window. The jamb liners float in the window frame, but be quite careful not to break them. Sometimes age and paint could be holding them in. Slide out the spring and the broken friction shoe and unhook it from the spring, then hook the new shoe to the spring and slide both back in the jamb liners. Check the sashes to see if the 20-016 tilt pins are intact. Reinstall the jamb liners and hook the tilt pins into the new shoes and swing the sashes back into the window. 

Let me know if you have any further inquiries. 

A quick learner from St. Louis, mo says:

Thanks so much for responding. I don't believe these windows tilt. There is no tilt latch on the top of the sash. I have 5 of these windows with the same visible nylon piece.

Is it possible these were disconnected because there is a pool outside of these windows?

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Sorry for the trouble. Let me clarify the process we like to use. You can try this: raise the bottom sash and with your hands, grab the top and bottom rail, then push the sash to one side and swing it out. Repeat the procedure for the top sash. After that, you should be able to pull the vinyl jamb liners from the window. They are held in by the pressure of the sashes, so they aren't nailed or screwed in or anything.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.