Worn out shower door latch wont't keep shower door shut

A home owner from Atlanta, GA says:
The latch on my shower door, installed in 1985, is a rubber "ball" that clicks into a notch on the shower door frame. The ball and notch have both worn down and the ball won't stay in the notch. If I could just replace the rubber ball, I'd be fine. Otherwise, I'd like to find a handle assembly that will work with the notch in the door frame.

Can you help me?

Carol
A user submited photo of shower door latch
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Carol. I don't quite recognize this handle. I'm not sure if we have it. Do you have a name brand? Are there any stamps or numbers printed on the hardware?

In the meantime, please look at our 10-053 bullet catch. Do you think this may work in place of the rubber "ball?"
A home owner from Milwaukee, WI says:
I don't know if this thread is still active, but I have the identical shower door handle with latch mechanism and a similar problem - the spring-loaded ball in the door handle doesn't extend far enough to engage with the shower frame. Further, I don't seem to have the "notch" in the frame alluded to by the home owner from Atlanta; I am curious about this "missing" second piece in my shower. My home was built (and the shower installed) in 1984. The shower door handle I have includes a sticker that says "Corinthian Gold by Howmet." I am looking for replacements for this specific door latching mechanism.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. Unfortunately, Howmet is no longer in business. Do you think you can use the 10-053 as a substitute? Perhaps you can make a notch in your frame with a drill to accept it.
A quick learner from Houston says:
Did part # 10-053 work for Carol in Georgia and the
home owner Milwaukee, WI? I have the exact shower handle.

Thanks,
Diane
A home owner from Alabama says:
I too have the same problem. Did part # 10-053 work for Carol in Georgia and the
home owner Milwaukee, WI? If not, can you make any other suggestion other than replacing the entire door?

Thanks,

Mike
A home owner from Decatur says:
The part # 10-053 worked perfectly for the Howmet Corinthian Gold shower door. I removed the old one with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver (to pry it out) and the new part pressed in perfectly. This is the way to repair the door without having to replace it.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.