balance replacement for window

A home owner from 28104 says:
need help trying to figure out how to order
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I will do my best to help. Do you know what product you want to buy from our catalog, or are you starting from scratch?

If you're starting from scratch, please remove an undamaged version of your balance from the window and show me a clear picture of it without obstruction. I need to see the top end, bottom end, and any stamp or marking you see printed on it. 

Please understand that I may need more photos and info after that, but I have to know what to ask for first.

these windows are AAMA if this helps. numbers on balancer 27 30 BS1 on
Profile picture of Tom

The stamp on the balance does help, insofar as it tells me that you have a channel type balance, but that's about it. That stamp is only used to indicate the calibration of the spring.

While knowing that this is a channel balance helps, there are still a ton of different Series left that you'd have to narrow down in order to know what to buy. The video below may help, but at the end of the day we will need the photos I requested in my previous post. You're not going to find a code anywhere that tells you exactly what you need. These parts can only be ID'd going off of physical details.

reference # D208490
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image7 (1).jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image7.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image0.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

We're definitely getting there. The bottom fitting you're showing me here is a match for our 15-174. This isn't a standard feature on any of our balances so that means this has to be custom made. 

Before we move on, I still need a clear picture of the fitting at the top end. I can't really see it in your photos. Since this has to be custom made, I also need to know how many you wanted to buy. 

Once I have those two pieces of information, I'll email you a purchase link and price quote for that quantity.

These pictures show more information. The balancer is 24" long x 1/2" wide.

Call me with questions.

Thanks,

Tom

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3926.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3925.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3929.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3924.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3935.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks, Tom. That appears to be our 19-005 top fitting, so we're good to go for that. However you just gave me the length as 24", which is odd. You originally told me that the stamp as "2730," which indicates a length of 28". Is this a different balance? Do you need two different sizes? These are really important details, so I need you to be clear on that. If you need a 24" long balance instead then I need to know what the stamp is for that, instead.

To start from the top, what I'll be making you is a 1/2" wide balance with a 19-005 top fitting and a 15-174 bottom fitting. Review these details and let me know if you had any questions or concerns. I still need the quantity that I requested back on the 29th, as well as confirmation of the stamp and length.

the stamp on shis balancer is23-20 1S8 od
the balancer # is 23-20
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks. I still need you to give me the other details I had asked for. Please reread my prior response and get back to me.

Tom I added more pictures and I need (1) balancer at this time. Tom

Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid I haven't received any other information from you. Please note that unless you post it here, I won't see it. 

I also don't think pictures at this point would answer the questions I had asked you. You had some very confusing information regarding length and I'm not sure that a picture would answer that for me. 

Finally, we are unfortunately only able to supply 2 of these at minimum, since they're custom. I hope that's okay.

the stamp is 2320 and it looks like you have got the right ends, the lemgth is 20". I did add more pichures, please let me no what the cost is? Thanks Tom
Profile picture of Tom

That actually just makes me more confused. If your stamp is 2320, then the length should be 24", which is the size you gave me back on the 10th. So was 24" right all along? 

The length of the metal channel will always be 1" more than the first two digits of the stamp. So if your stamp is 2320, the metal channel will be 24". Or, as a random example, if the stamp is 1520 then the length will be 16". 3520 would be 36", and so on.

Hopefully that helps you understand why the information you're giving me isn't adding up. So far you've given me two stamps: 2730, which you said was 24", and now 2320, which you said is 20". Neither of those are how balances are designed to work. I have a feeling you might be looking at multiple different balances and getting the details confused.

To clarify, there are no new photos in this discussion. You can just scroll up here to see what I mean. The last photos you uploaded to this page were back on the 10th. If you don't upload them here, I can't see them.

Tom you are right, the length is 24" (2320) is the stamp. I do have more windows than I need balancers for, but thought I would start with this one first. the last pictures I added were on the 10th of april, for a total of (9) looks like you have the right ends, just need the cost?
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, that helps clarify things a huge deal. So, we can only send out a minimum of 2 of these, since they have to be custom made, so I'll email that out to you right now.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at 856-317-6263 or at help@swisco.com.