balances needed for an old house

A home owner from PA says:
Im looking for window balances for this size and a few other. I will also need to know how to order / measure other sizes

These windows are from 1932
Thanks for your help
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0104.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0107.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0106.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0105.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Rich! You weren't kidding, these are some ooooold balances. Are these used on wood windows? If so, I think you can get away with using our Series 500 spiral balance as a substitute, along with a bottom bracket like our 17-007 or 17-012. We've been using some combination of this hardware for older wood windows for decades and find that they work very well.

As for balance length, that's tougher to gauge. It looks like yours may be have been 33", but that may not be 100% accurate. There's a possibility you'll have to remount the top screw to make up for any significant difference in length, so be prepared for that.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)