Broken balances on Kolbe brand windows

A handy person from Brooklyn, NY says:
I bought these windows in 2000. I was told they were Kolbe windows. The plastic on the knife lock shoes has become brittle and broken off on some of the windows, causing them to slam down or not stay up. Can I replace just the shoes? Do you know what shoes I should order and how to install them? Or do I need to replace the whole balances. Thanks
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. Take a look at our 15-014 shoes. Do these look familiar? I think they're pretty close, but see what you think.

To replace the shoe, you will need a vise to hold the string securely, allowing you to change the shoe out. Be very careful, as you don't want the string slipping out of the vice while you're trying to change the shoe. There's a lot of pressure, and you don't want to hurt yourself.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)