channel balance

A quick learner from Edison says:
Hi, I live in a town house built in 1983. One of the windows in the bedroom closes well but when opened it slides down. It is a single hung window. I don't know how to fix it. My handyman stopped taking my calls as he can't figure out how to fix it. It has become a safety issue and getting the whole window unit replaced is way too expensive for me
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I recognize this balance. These are typically used on a special kind of hinged single hung window. Does that sound about right? Before your window broke, were you able to swing it in to clean? Also check out the list of parts I pulled up on the right hand side of this page. Do they look familiar?If so, then we can definitely replace this balance, though they can be a big complicated due to their design. I'll try to be as clear as possible. I know it can be confusing, so if you need me to clarify any point, I would be happy to do so.

Because the window is hinged, the balances are actually asymmetrical. What I mean by that in this context is, the two balances on either side of the window aren't the same. One balance will have a 19-008 top attachment and a 15-025 bottom attachment, as well as a certain stamp. However, the balance on the other side of the window will ONLY have the 19-008 top attachment, as well as an entirely different stamp. This second balance does not have the 15-025 shoe at all.

What I will need from you is the following:

-The length of the metal channel for each balance.
-The stamp number printed on each metal channel. We will use these to differentiate between the two balances.
-Which balance has both the 19-008 and 15-025, and which balance has only the 19-008. Use the stamps printed on each balance to signify which is which.
-How many of each you need.

Once we have this information, I can email you a custom order link for each one, including a price quote.
A quick learner from Edison says:
You are right about the window.. I never opened it fully to clean it.. I would just slide it up and clean. I can't remove the other Chanel ( the side where the window is hinged)
This Chanel metal Chanel is 26"
And the stamp printed is 2530 c

I will need just 1 channel which is broken.
Can you also tell me how to change it?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sure thing, I'll email you a custom order link for one of these immediately. As for how to install it, I believe you will need to raise the sash, slide the top tilt latch, then swing the sash in towards you. You can then install the new balance by hooking its bottom clip in the hole, then locking the balance top under the take out clip (which should look like our 16-009). Then just make sure the sash is above the bottom balance shoe (15-025) before you swing it over, lock in the tilt latch, and finally bring sash down to engage it with the new balance. Hopefully this is clear, let me know if you would like clarification.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)