2730 BSI GL

A home owner from Lewiston, Maine says:
We need a pair of these (for starters) 28 inches long with a depth of 1/2 inch to hold up a 16 pound window. Uses a hook style fastener as shown in the photo. Any guidance you can provide would be appreciated.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230720_033134612.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but, unfortunately, your channel balance is too damaged to identify. We would need to see an intact balance removed from the other side or another window in the house to compare to our inventory. Thank you!

I appreciate the response. Here are photos of each end of one of an intact balance. Our main concern is the depth. We got replacements that were 5/8 deep and that proved to be too thick for our channels. We need these with a depth of 1/2 or 3/8. Thanks for any guidance you can provide and let me know if you need additional information.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance one.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance two.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to us. It looks like you may have balances similar to our S770-28  that attaches to the top of the window jamb with a screw but yours appears to use the 62-105 hook, which often attaches to a pivot shoe like the 15-105

I would recommend starting by confirming that the specifications below match up to yours. Also, we'll need to confirm the exact weight of your sash since your balance stamp does not match any of our strength options. Please note that this would need to be a custom order, so it is important to confirm all of the details before moving forward with an order. Thank you! 

Alternate image for 62-105
Alternate image for 62-105

Open position 15-105
Open position 15-105

View of 15-105 in the Closed Position
View of 15-105 in the Closed Position

Hi again. The 770 looks a lot like what we need. Our sash is 16 pounds, so we'd be looking at the 28B. The only question that remains for us is the depth of the channel. The replacement we got elsewhere was 5/8, which turned out to be slightly too deep. We'd need a balance 1/2 or possibly 3/8 inch deep. Our windows use the type of shoes and hooks shown in the photos you provided above so all of that lines up. To me, it's just down to the matter of depth. We really appreciate your help with this.
Profile picture of Casey

The S770 has a 9/16" by 9/16" metal channel, which is often considered 1/2" in the trade. If the depth of your channel measures exactly 1/2", it shouldn't be a problem. If not, let us know your exact measurement and we'll be happy to confirm if a better match is available. 

Our depth is exactly 1/2 inch, so if you think this s770 will work, I'll likely just go ahead and order a pair. Really thankful for the sleuthing. It's been a long and weird search.
It occurs to me that the 770 as sold doesn't have the 62-105 hook on it. If that can be added, than I think it will work. Including a photo of the shoe used in our windows in case that matters.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named shoe.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Great, we just sent over an order link and price quote for the balances you requested, which will have the 62-105 hook attached to the end of the pulley. Take a look and let us know if you need anything else. 

Also, I want to point out that your pivot shoe looks like it may be a closer match to the 15-208. This doesn't affect your custom balance order but I wanted to point it out in case you need them in the future. Thank you!

Alternate image for 15-208
Alternate image for 15-208

That's helpful, thanks. Our windows are definitely getting on in years, so chances are good I'll be back for more bits and pieces. I'll go place my order for now and get this sad saga wrapped up. Thanks one more time for all the help.
Profile picture of Casey

We appreciate your business and look forward to assisting you with any future projects you may have.

Hi again. So last week, we ordered window balances which worked out great. Unfortunately, in the process of reinstalling them, a pivot bar was broken. I believe I've found the right replacement, product code 26-423, but since our pivot bars are riveted on, we'd also need replacement fasteners. I haven't been able to locate those on your site. If someone can direct me to those, I should be good to place an order. Thank you one more time.
Profile picture of Casey

Unfortunately, we do not carry fasteners that work exclusively with the 26-423 since the correct replacements depend on the size of the installation holes in the sash, and the length needed would also vary. Once you determine the size needed, you are welcome to look through our selection of fasteners here. If we do not carry the size that you need, a local hardware store should be able to match you up with the correct size. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.