35" x 5/8" spiral balance with a yellow tip?

A home owner from North Carolina, USA says:
We need to replace 35" spiral tilt window balance with yellow tip in 5/8" rod, but I don't see the yellow tip among what I can order (only see black and red). What do you recommend?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

To my knowledge, no balance in the 5/8" size was ever made with a yellow tip. That's exclusively made for 3/8" balances. Can you verify that this is the size you need? Can you also confirm that your tips are in fact yellow? It's possible that they were once white and simply faded with age.

If you are positive that the balance tubes are 5/8" in diameter then odds are you need a different color. I would recommend weighing your sash on a scale to confirm exactly which available tip is best suited for this job.

Tom

Here is our measurement of the tube (see photo). While we thought it was 5/8th,; it could be 3/8th

In terms of the color of the tip--while appearing yellow, it could be that the tip is white and aged over the 27 years it has been in place.

The sash weighs 20 pounds.

What do you think I will need to repait the window? Thanks Dennis
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20220929_205611478.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20220929_204905307.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20220929_204936918 (2).jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! I agree, your tip was definitely white at one time. White Tips from that era are usually the same as modern Red Tip; at some point in recent decades they started using Red to replace all the White. Also, looking at the diameter of your outer tube, I think the larger balance is the safer bet. The 5/8" size is more like 9/16" in reality (I don't know why the manufacturer rounds up), which is just about what yours is. 

So, taking into account the size and diameter, that would be our S600-35. The Red Tip option carries 12 through 30 pounds, which would be perfect for your 20 pound sash. That would be my recommendation.

What pivot shoe do we order with the S600-35 balance? Thanks Dennis
Profile picture of Tom

The Series 600 is compatible with about a million and a half different pivot shoes. Yours in particular looks like it could be a good match for our 15-046, but you will need to first check to ensure that all our dimensions line up. There are plenty of other options, so if these dimensions are no good then just let me know and we can pursue something else.

Alternate image for 15-046
Alternate image for 15-046

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.