70-222 Removal if Broken

A home owner from New Jersey says:

Hi we just ordered 20 of your 70-222 window screen clips this Saturday.

Problem is I have some old clear cheap plastic ones that came with my casement windows and they practically crumble to dust when you touch them. They are broken down to the frame and I have no clue how to remove them. I really need to thoroughly clean my windows and replace the old clips with your new ones. Is there a tool we can purchase? I've used everything I could find flat, thin, small, sharp thus far, Even tweezers. But no luck.

I viewed the YouTube video before I sent you the email. It's not helpful since the clips in the video aren't broken off in the screen panel as mine are. Only one pulls out and the remaining 3 hold in the screen.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image0 (19).jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1 (1).jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image2 (6).jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, sorry to hear that you're having trouble with these. I can understand how the piece shattering in the frame would make it more difficult to remove.

Looking at the 70-222 clip, it could be that the "legs" are locked in past the screen frame and that's what's holding the clip. I would try using a small flat blade screw driver or a small nail and try to open up the cut out in the screen just a little. This might free up the old clip. You don't want to open up the cut out too much and damage the screen frame, though, so be very careful if you try this. 

Another idea is to try getting behind the screen overlap on the sides of the screen around the clip location. Maybe you can use a stiff putty knife or a small flap bar to disengage the clip from the frame. Again, you don't want to use too much force and damage anything on the window. 

There's no real science when it comes to removing broken clips from the screen frame. No matter how you look at it, you're going to have to bend the frame open a little bit, so there is going to be risk. Just keep a steady hand and only do it a little at a time and you should be okay.

A home owner from New Jersey says:
Thank you much for your reply and assistance. Enjoy your holiday. Blessings
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Thank you, and you as well. Happy Easter and please let us know if we can be of any assistance in the future. We're always here to help!

How to replace a window screen clip
How to replace a window screen clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.