A quick learner from Kentucky says:
I'm looking for an entire system that would go with part 801020. The window sash weighs 20#'s and need the right and left sides, including the shoe, coils and coil cover.

I saw you have part 801020, but wasn't sure about the other parts. I have the shoes, but the coils broke. If the shoes can be reused and only need the coils, even better.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that part number. I'm not sure what 801020 might be in our inventory. Would it be possible to see photos of the hardware in question? Since it sounds like it's a coil balance assembly, I'd specifically like to see the pivot shoe, cover, and springs. I'd also like you to tell me how thick the coils are.

Profile picture of Tom

Hey there! We were able to track this number down after all and I believe you're looking for our 15-150D. This is a cover used for the 1/2" wide Series 160 coil spring. 

Sorry for the confusion! Hopefully this helps clear things up. Now, I would still need to see the pivot shoe in order to identify a match, since the Series 160 is compatible with many different styles. However, if your original is in undamaged condition then you can easily reuse it. That's one of the benefits of coil balance assemblies.

I pulled it out and tried to pull a number off of it, but nothing.

Pics attached.

The shoes look good so I think I just need the coils.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2B03713B-877D-453B-92B6-344BDC2FFC8A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 72A2CDB0-4DDD-488B-BD97-D7CC6040CBE1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 71882574-23A9-4DF5-9D68-43F3CFE5E9B2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0ED71C29-42E4-42A3-9D6D-34264C18B02D.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us! That shoe appears to be a match for our 15-199. This is very commonly used with the Series 160 spring, which in turn uses the 15-150D double support. You may just want to check to make sure that your spring is the same width at 1/2", but otherwise I feel confident that these are the parts you want.

Since your sash is 20 pounds, and since our Series 160 spring is weighted in .5 pound increments, I would recommend using a 4.5 and 5.5 spring on each side. That will give you 20 pounds of total support, which should be perfect.

Thank you!!!
I checked the stamp on the coils and one is 6.5# and the other is 5.5#. No way the sash is 24#. What will happen if you get coils that are too strong like I have? Could that be what caused them to break? I've always had issues with this specific window, but never any of the others. Maybe the builder made a mistake.
Profile picture of Tom

When the springs are too strong for the weight of the sash, then you'll find that the window is much harder to close. It may even pull up on its own after you shut it in extreme cases.

The extra force needed to close a window in that state could cause additional strain on the coils, but I'm not sure it would be so much that it would cause them to break early. Figure that most balances have a life span of around 10 years, maybe a little more if they aren't used too frequently. 

I agree that your springs are weighted way too strong for a 20 pound sash. That weight may be something you want to triple check just to be 100% sure. What might have happened is that the original installers didn't have the right weights on hand when they installed the window and so just put in whatever they had available. That happens more often than you'd think, especially these days when houses are getting flipped on the cheap.

Makes total sense. I'll reweigh the sash and pick the appropriate coils to match. Appreciate all your help.
Profile picture of Tom

You're very welcome! Please let me know if you had any other questions. We're always happy to help.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.