81-173 versus 81-056

A handy person from California says:
Four questions:
1. What is adjustable about the 81-1732 that is not adjustable on 81-056?
2. What are other differences between these 2 parts? In the diagrams, I see only a 1/16" difference in height (1 1/8" in the 81-056, versus 1 1/16" in the 81-173)?
3. What else should I know to help me choose the right replacement?
4. Are there other models that I should consider?

Attached are some bad pictures - sorry! I forgot to take pictures when we completely removed the old rollers, but they look like the two models in my questions - they have the distinctive, open-slot tab shown in the third photo.

Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named roller view 1.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named roller view 2.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named distinctive tab.JPG
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

The 81-056 and 81-173 both adjust in the same way. "adjustable SS tandem roller" is how the part was titled by the manufacturer and we kept the same nomenclature. Even though 1/16" doesn't seem like much, the height difference is a key detail. Additionally, the 81-173 is stainless steel. lastly, the screw tab is forked, rather than an enclosed hole. That's not a huge difference but it could come into play when installing the roller/

You would need to remove your roller fully from the door frame and measure it to determine which replacement best matches the original. It's impossible to say what other options you should consider without knowing what your measurements are and seeing it removed from the door. I would recommend comparing the specifications on the 81-056 and 81-173 product pages to your part once it's uninstalled and if you notice any discrepancies, get back to us with additional photos and your exact dimensions written-out. Thank you. 

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.