Alcoa vinyl tilt windows

A quick learner from St. Charles, Missouri says:
I have removed the spiral balance springs from my Alcoa tilt windows. I have 6 windows (identicle) that I need to replace the spiral balance springs. I weighed the window sash and it weighs about 15lbs. The balance in them are 34 1/4 inches long. They have black tips. Do I get the red tip or black tip and what length do you recommend? Also I need several replacement shoes. Mine are 9/16 thick, 1 inch wide and 2 inches long. I found item #15-173 that looks like the correct replacement but there is no width shown on the picture. Is the 15-173 The correct replacement?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1523681884596491289011.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15236819387071453391204.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us. It sounds like you need a 5/8" diameter Series 600 spiral balance. As for the length, you might be okay going with 34", but it's hard to tell. Are you making sure to only measure the outer tube? It looks like your outer tube is missing, perhaps broken off. See if the other identical windows still have their tubes that you can use as a reference.

As for the color tip, black might be a bit much for a 15 pound sash. Using the S600-34 as an example, two balances with a black tip can carry sashes weighing  31 through 40 pounds. That's WAY too strong for a 15 pound sash. You may want to get the exact weight to be sure. We have a chart on all our Series 600 store pages that tells you how much weight each color option can support.

A quick learner from St. Charles, Mo says:
Thank you for your quick response. I do also need to know the width of your shoe, 15-173. The dimensions are not listed with that item. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The measurements actually are listed on the 15-173 webpage, but I'll post them here, too.

Dimensions for 15-173
Dimensions for 15-173

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.